Thursday, 24 July 2008

Des O' Connor to quit Countdown

Des O' Connor has announced he is to quit as the host of Channel 4 show Countdown in November.

The veteran TV star took over from Des Lynam in January last year, who left after hosting just one series of the show.

However, O Connor has said he misses the "thrill" of performing live TV shows and concerts.

Speaking about his stint on the long-running word game, he said: "It's been wonderful hosting a programme which is part of TV folklore. I have really enjoyed my two years with the show and I would like to thank all concerned at Channel 4.

"I've made a lot of new friends. Carol Vorderman has been a joy... it's been a giggle since day one. But I miss the thrill of stepping out on a live stage for the one-man concerts and the challenge of live TV entertainment-based shows."

Des, 76, is currently recording his 36th album Setting New Standards.

Listen to all Des' hits, on this Portable Record Player