You know that moment, the moment when you’re sitting with your friends and the new ‘got-to-have’ gadget is brought up in conversation and you have no idea what on earth they’re going on about?! Well that was exactly how I felt when spiralizers were brought up… I smiled and nodded in all the right places but the minute I got home I was on the internet Googling it.
So what is a spiralizer…?
The definition of a spiralizer is… “A kitchen device used to cut vegetables into long ribbons or strips resembling noodles or spaghetti”.
But what does that mean to me? A normal person trying to cost-effectively feed my family with healthy nutritious meals on a budget.
Well… Here are Studio’s top five reasons why a spiralizer is a must have in every household:
1. Kids have a tendency to be dismissive of vegetables and everything green so why not sneak up on them and surprise them in ways they aren't anticipating. Providing them with one of their five-a-day couldn’t be easier!
2. Children love to spiralize! They love watching a vegetable turn magically into spaghetti (as long as a responsible adult is supervising them of course). Spiralizing with your children will ensure that they’ll learn healthy eating habits whilst also having fun.
3. Spiralizing is most definitely family-friendly. Instead of wasting precious time waiting for water to boil, just spiralize a few vegetables and you have instant, ready-to-cook pasta! This way you can spend more time with your family and loved ones and less time in the kitchen. It’s a win-win situation!
4. It helps promote weight loss and overall body maintenance. Spiralized vegetables are naturally low in calories, carbohydrates, fat and sugar. By spiralizing you’re naturally eating more vegetables – without even noticing!
5. You can eat your favourite pasta dishes guilt free! Spiralized vegetables have a similar texture and consistency to regular pasta and noodles. Your taste buds however will think you’re eating the carb-laden standard, while your waistline knows you’re eating healthy vegetables!
Improve your families eating habits whilst saving time by purchasing the Salter Electric Spiralizer from Studio, which is now only £24.99 (a health-busting saving of £65.00 if you buy now).
I can most definitely say that I was once a sceptic but now I’m a spiralizer convert and just to prove it here is a quick and easy recipe that the Studio team love…
Courgetti Spaghetti Bolognese
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 2 people (ingredient quantities can be increased accordingly)
• 2 large courgettes
• 1/2 lb turkey mince
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1/2 medium red onion
• 1 celery stick
• 1 carrot
• 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (or more if you like it spicy!)
• 1 clove of garlic
• 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
• 3 tsp tomato puree
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 cube of chicken stock
• A pinch of basil and/or oregano fresh or dried to taste
• Grated cheese
• Using your Salter Electric Spiralizer, spiralize your courgettes according to the manufacturers instructions.
• Add the carrots and celery to a food processor until chopped finely.
• Heat the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Once the oil heats add in the crushed garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add in the chilli flakes and cook for a further 30 seconds then add in the onions.
• Cook the onions for 1-2 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add in the carrot/celery mixture and cook for 1 minute.
• In a separate pan cook the turkey mince until the meat is no longer pink.
• Combine the vegetables with the turkey mince and add a pinch of oregano.
• Then add the chicken stock and simmer until reduced (water evaporates).
• Add in the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and season generously with salt and pepper.
• Bring to the boil and then lower the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
• 5 minutes before the sauce is reduced, add in the basil.
• After 15 minutes add in the pre-prepared courgetti spaghetti and mix thoroughly to combine.
• Plate onto dishes and garnish with grated cheese.
Bon Appétit and remember that ‘Healthy families are happy families!’
Shop our full Kitchen range here...